Land Rover Half Marathon in Malta

This race definitely had the makings of a PR right from the start.  We splurged and stayed at The Zara Palace which is within the old city walls of Mdina (M-Deena) and literally only walked about 100 meters from our hotel to the start.  It was by far (even compared to the Silver Strand) the easiest 1/2 marathon to show up to that I have ever shown up to!  This is significant since showing up is half the effort, if you ask me!

We had a picture perfect day for the run.  It was 15 degrees Celsius with no clouds in the sky and a pretty constant wind at our backs (until mile 11).  This was the Land Rover Malta Marathon (and 1/2) and I can't say enough about the support along the way.  We got full water bottles instead of dixie cups at at least 3 spots and two energy drinks that came in the cutest little plastic bottles.  I know this isn't the most environmental idea, but the bottles were SO much easier to drink from than dixie cups!  We also had an orange slice station, and bananas and subway sandwiches at the end.

We had ideas of getting up at 7:00 and having breakfast, but I quickly realized that I would rather have another hour of sleep over food.  Jeff agreed and we slept until 8:30.  Then, we were up, dressed, drank a cup of instant coffee each and were on our way.  I'm really not kidding when I say that we were 100 meters from the start.  If it weren't for the ancient city walls, we could have seen (or even spit to) the start from our bedroom window!

The race was big for Malta, but probably small compared to our US benchmarks.  I think there were about 3000 people total.  Some were full marathoners that started at 7:00 and others were walkers (Bless Them) that started with the Half.  Jeff had trained well for the race, but experienced a few set-backs at the start - most notably he didn't have any charge on his iPod.  He did manage to run the entire way with no tunes and finished strong.

I had been sick for a solid week since returning from the US.  I also hadn't run a step for 3 weeks due to travel and being sick.  The week leading up to the race had me thinking that I couldn't really even think about running it.  Then, I realized that there was a walking crowd.  So, if I had severe problems, I could always drop back with the walkers.

The race is almost completely down hill, another reason that I should have run faster!  Jeff ran less than a minute slower than he did in Eindhoven last fall.  He said, and I believe, that he could have beaten his time if he had any clue where he was on the course.  Also, there were no spectators, at all!  Seriously, I thanked lots of policemen that were helping us navigate the mostly open-to-traffic roads along the way.  Other than those guys, there really weren't many people out cheering.

So, what is similar and different about races in Europe vs. the US?  Well, as I have mentioned previously, when these people sign up to run, they mean to run!  This race had a walk-a-thon component which I appreciated.  Several of the walkers beat me, but they were running rather than walking.  To his credit the walking winner (I am sure) passed me at about mile 2!  He was a speed walker, so I am not sure it counts if he is a professional?  Anyway, my hips could never switch like that!

We ran from Mdina, the original walled city that we were staying in to Valletta on the coast.

Due to my sickness, I had planned to really take this one easy.  I was wearing a watch in order to do a run/walk plan, but as I started I thought that I didn't want to be out there any longer than necessary.  So, my plan became to run until I got the kinks out and then, when I got really tired to start the run/walk.  Instead, as I got going, the idea of walking sounded good, but starting back up again did NOT.  So, I adopted a new plan.  I would approach this first race as a PLEASANT adventure.  So, I walked when I felt the need; drank an entire water bottle at the first station; took in every water or food station along the course, and kept a clear head since I didn't want to secoumb to my previous cold or the potential dehydration.

So, the weather was perfect; the course was mostly all downhill; we had a good night's sleep before; but...somehow this course kicked our butts?

Jeff:  1:50 and change
Emily:  2:45 on the dot!

I was really surprised because I had run a larger percentage than I had in Eindhoven but still finished much slower.  I guess it doesn't matter, since this gives me a good slow benchmark to work toward improving this year.